Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A 2009 Topps American Heritage revelation

Hopefully "revelation" isn't too strong of a word for this subject. But it does seem appropriate to me. So just yesterday I figured out how to tell the 2009 American Heritage apart from the 2009 American Heritage Heroes edition. Now if any of you reading this already know how to tell them apart and think I must be daft not to have known the difference, I will justify this post by mentioning that I have seen two separate bloggers post on the same difficulty as far as not being able to tell them apart goes. And none my google searches have revealed any useful information either.

Before I get to my eureka moment. I will mention that this set is yet another one that is fairly new to me. I came across a couple of singles in some dime boxes last year at the first show I attended in Nashville and was instantly attracted to the design of historical figures on vintage baseball card designs. Once I got home with them was when the confusion began as I soon found that they were from two different sets that looked identical. So rather than deal with it then, I decided to put them in a box and come back and try again at a later date. I didn't come across any more until the last show I went to a couple of weeks ago, when I found a few more for 10 cents apiece again.

Real quick here are the couple from this past show.

2009 Topps American Heritage:




And these are from the Heroes edition:

So yesterday while searching the backs for any kind of way to tell them apart, I noticed one small difference in the fine print at the bottom.

This is the back of one of just the American Heritage:
And here is the American Heritage Heroes edition:
As you can see the Heroes edition has the extra bit about tracking and a code. Fairly easy to spot the difference, huh?  I feel like kind of a dumb dumb for failing to notice it sooner, but I guess it's better late than never.

Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page!

4 comments:

  1. You have to like the Edward Croker "bravest" card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to the others shown, it really does stand out.

      Delete
  2. I've never been able to tell them apart. Up until now... I just went over and typed them into Beckett.com and used their checklist to determine which set was which.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that this post was able to help someone else out, as that was all I was hoping to accomplish. I was slightly hesitant to do this one, because I thought I might end up with a bunch of "duh! everybody knows that already" type comments. So, thank you for letting me know that it was of some use to you.

      Delete