Monday, December 18, 2017

Tales from the Thrift Store vol.3

In last week's Bookstore Bonanza post, I mentioned hitting up two thrift stores that day as well, and since I didn't buy enough to warrant two posts, I figured I might as well combine the purchases from both stores into today's post.

First up is the A Time 4 Paws thrift store, who's sales benefit a non profit no-kill animal shelter of the same name. This was the only second time that I've been to this store, mostly because it's not in a direction I usually go, but considering what the money goes towards, I really should try to get there more often.


Other than what is stated in English, I know absolutely nothing about this album, but for $1.50 it was certainly worth taking a chance on. It will probably still be another month or so before I have the turntable unpacked, so for the moment this will just be added to my ever growing pile of vinyl that needs to be listened to.


Considering that I've never been in a Starbucks before, I seem to have a lot of their compilations, especially of the Rhino variety. I have like half these tracks on other CD's, but getting the other half for only $2 was a pretty solid deal.


I always enjoy finding videos of movies that aren't on DVD (at least not in this country). Never seen it, but it sounds good.


A still sealed copy of Point Blank on DVD for $2? Consider me officially all over it!

Next up, I hit the Threads of Hope thrift store, which is located right across from the bookstore. Even those particular store doesn't usually have anything for me, I still try to pop in there real quick after trips to the bookstore.


This movie came out in 2000, and somehow I'm just now hearing about it! I honestly don't even know how that's possible, as at that time, I would've still been haunting local video stores on a fairly regular basis and I most certainly should have seen it amongst the new releases.


Justice League in a clamshell? Yes, Please!


Scooby-Doo meets Batman in a somewhat squished clamshell? Sounds good to me!

Between the trip to the bookstore, and the two thrift stores, it's was definitely one of my better outing's in quite a while. I was able to replenish my always dwindling VHS "to watch" pile, and I was able to get two blog posts out of it, which is a win-win in my book.


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

11 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with Lee Marvin. I gotta hit my local thrift shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supporting local thrift stores is always a good thing!

      Delete
  2. Got some killer music on the Heatin up Cd. Huey Smith, Jimmy reed. Booker t, Johnny Otis, Ramsey Lewis all,some of my Favorites. And Dick Dale is the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really solid compilation. A nice blend with no duds!

      Delete
  3. Nice haul!! VHS is going to make a comeback someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's hard for me to imagine what would cause it to do so, I certainly wouldn't mind seeing VHS make a comeback. Since I'm a physical media sort, it really never went away for me anyway, so for the time being I'll just keep picking up the stuff that nobody else wants anymore.

      Delete
  4. The more I see your posts featuring VHS tapes, the more I regret getting rid of most of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the thrifts stores that have to be in your area, plus all the flea markets, I don't see any reason why you couldn't start buying a few here and there. And if you don't already have one, decent VCR's can still be had for next to nothing.

      Delete
    2. I come across them every time I walk around the flea market... and lol... I actually still own a VCR. My problem is storage space. I did keep about 30 of my favorites like the original Star Wars, the John Hughes classics, and some of my favorite 90's flicks. But I got rid of the rest years ago.

      Delete
  5. Hey, I actually have that Scooby Doo meets Batman & Robin DVD! First think you've posted that appears in my collection, aside from some cards. I love that by the way. My favorite classic cartoon episode ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know that it was on DVD! And after just now looking on Amazon, I see that they also finally released the entire original series on DVD, which is something I might have to try and get on the cheap at some point.

      Delete