Friday, February 16, 2018

A reprieve

I'm taking a quick break between the Ollie's comic book posts today so that I can show off a recently received buyback from Chris, aka The Collector.

Chris really made me work for this one too, but this was one instance where I didn't mind putting forth a little extra effort to make sure it ended up being sent my way.

After their move to Oakland following the 1967 season, Topps got a little silly with their not wanting to show any Athletics players sporting their former KC logo in the 1968 set. And not only were Topps efforts silly, they were also terribly inconsistent throughout the set. Of the players shown wearing hats, Topps either airbrushed the logo out to create a solid green lid -- some of which still had a logo visible on the brim -- or in Dave's case (among others), they went the more aesthetically (sarcasm) pleasing route and blacked out the entire body of his hat.

Not knowing very much about Mr. Duncan, I was kind of surprised to see that he had such a long and successful career as a pitching coach. During his 32 years as a coach, he earned three World Series rings to go along with the one he won during his playing days, which came in 1972 as a member of the Oakland Athletics.

Chris, thank you very much for the card, it's always nice to be able to add a pre-'73 buyback to my frankenset. And if I am able to attend the card show next weekend I will be keeping an eye out for your Donruss basketball wants (among other things), and even if I don't go, I already have a couple of cards set aside for you... so either way, you'll be receiving some cards from me sometime in the next couple of weeks.

               

Thanks for taking a moment to look at my page.

6 comments:

  1. I really dropped the ball on this one, but I'm glad it got to you. '68 is probably my favorite vintage set of all time but the airbrushing black blob over his hat is just awful.

    Duncan was one of the best pitching coaches in the game when I was a baseball-obsessed teen. I could name all the players and managers but the only pitching coaches I knew were Duncan and Leo Mazzone.

    Also, if you do have any cards to send my way I think it's only fair that you send them in June or July :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that a lot of collectors don't seem to be overly fond of the '68 set, so it's kind of refreshing to hear that you are such a fan of it. For the record, I like the set quite a bit too, at one time I was working on it, but decided to take a break to pursue some other sets... but I will probably come back to it someday.

      Why June or July?

      Delete
    2. I was joking, but considering that you've waited for this card for about 4-5 months I thought I should wait that long for yours.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I get it! I thought something was going on in June or July that I wasn't aware of.

      Delete
  2. Nice card. I remember Duncan from his years with the Athletics in the mid 80's to mid 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all people, I figured you'd be the most familiar with his career.

      Delete